Monday, November 30, 2009

Media Meditation #8: Blogger


Before the first day of my Mass Media and Society class, I had no experience or thoughts of ever using a blog regularly. In fact, I did not even know Blogger existed online. But now that I have several posts on my new own personal blog, and even more comments and responses on the Champlain Blog because I post weekly for homework. These blogs have replaced traditional homework for this class, which I really like because it helps keep us up to date with our technology and media, which is crucial for this class.
Although I do not blog for fun yet and only when required, the whole world still has the opportunity to read my blog, Ian's Shit for free using the internet.
The internet keep growing and advancing and converges all different types of media. In several other of my meditations, I mentioned how both TV and movies can be found online free of charge. Now, blogs are becoming more and more popular online and are challenging journalists and other news sources. Blogs are much more open to personal opinions and allows feedback from anyone and are updated more frequently. It seems as if the internet has the solution to every media problem and is a more effective medium.
But at the same time, new media's such as blogs, are replacing tradition and straying away from face to face and personal communications. Blogs, and the internet in general is a Technological and Epistemological shift because they both are taking the same messages and delivering them differently via blogs and the internet.
More importantly, blogs are a discursive shift because although these blogs are there to update and inform people about "news," it is also subjective what is posted on these blogs because they can be false. For example, I have the ability to make up news stories and post them on my blog for the whole world to see and it is the public's choice to either believe me or not. Just because one person claims something does not make it true.

No comments:

Post a Comment